Swimming is always an activity loved by many people. Thanks to the LED technology development, now we have various kinds of led swimming pool lights for the swimming pool lighting decoration. The led pool lights help increase the security at night, also add a more colorful or active atmosphere to the pools when people enjoy swimming or pool parties at night.
However, not like indoor use led bulbs or ceiling lights, led swimming pool lights work under the water, it will bring too much headache when they don’t work. People will feel very frustrated when their pool lights can’t be turned on or be flickering. What should they do? In this article, we will give tips for troubleshooting of led swimming pool lights not working.
First of all, we need to understand the basic characteristics of swimming pool lights that work underwater.
1- LED pool lights have to work under low voltage AC/DC 12V or AC/DC 24V.
2- The waterproof and dustproof rating has to be at least IP68, or better than IP68, which will be needed in a deep water zone that has big water pressure.
3- LED pool lights need to work with a low voltage DC power supply or use a transformer to make the input low voltage. They must be not connected to 220V/110V.
Gaining an understanding of these characteristics above, now we can troubleshoot the pool lights problems.
Situation 1: Not working during installing the led swimming pool lights.
No.1 The pool light doesn’t work when connected to the power supply.
- Check the lamp’s input voltage is AC or DC required, check and confirm the power supply compatible with it or not. Check if the positive and negative connected correctly or not.
- Confirm if the pool lights have been connected to 220V/110V while testing, if yes, the pool lights must be burned already, so they don’t work.
- Use a correct power adapter to check a single lamp, in order to confirm if the problem is caused by the lamp failure or the electric circle failure.
No.2 The pool light is flickering or very dim after being connected to the power supply.
1. Check and confirm the AC transformer wattage is enough for the total lamps or not. Normally the AC transformer power has to be 2 times the total power of all lamps. For example, if the total power of the lamps is 100W, the AC transformer power has to be at least 200W. If the pool lights required a DC power supply, the ratio should be 1.2. DC power wattage has to be more than 1.2 times the total lamps wattage. For example, if the lamp’s total power is 100W, the DC power supply has to be at least 120W. Otherwise, the power supply power is not enough to support all the lamps work in rated working power.
2. Check the lamp’s actual input voltage is enough for the lamp or not. For example, if the lamp rated working voltage is 12V, the actual input voltage arrives is only 11V or less, which will cause the lamp to flicker or dim. If this case happens, try to less distance between the lamp and transformer, less the lamps qty connected or increase the transformer power.
Situation 2: Not working after a certain period of usage of the swimming pool lights.
Failure 1 The led pool lights become dim after working normally 3 months or longer, the reasons are below:
1. The heat dissipation function is designed not good enough, the overheat will faster the LED chips light decay. Many people have a misunderstanding that all the underwater lamps will have better heat dissipation than those that work outside water, it is not true all the time. Most of the led pool lights are made from stainless steel or plastic material, as we know, the thermal conductivity of these materials is very low. If the pool light structure is designed not reasonable enough, when they are working underwater, the heat created by the led chips can not be transmitted from the lamp housing surface to the water quickly, it will make the led chips overheated, which leads to the led chips light decay faster.
2. The led pool lights have water inside. Many people think the pool lights won’t have water inside as while installation they have confirmed no water inside. It is not correct 100%. The water in the swimming pools contains a lot of oxidizing substances, it will have more as the pools need to be disinfected regularly. If the anti-corruption function of the pool lights materials is not good enough, they will have waterproof problems after a period of use. Thus, it requires a high standard process during the manufacturing of the led pool lights, by using good quality materials to ensure the lamps work underwater without corrosion by oxidation.
Failure 2: The led pool lights can’t be turned on after working normally for a period. This problem has similar reasons above. Except for those 2 reasons, the probable reasons are below:
- The driver doesn’t work. The driver failure is caused by the unstable input voltage, or water goes inside. Also, the bad quality of the driver is the possible reason.
- The water goes inside the wire/cable, causing the corrosion of the wire, if the wire is disconnected, the pool lights won’t work. Some people don’t pay attention to the wire connection and they don’t make sure the waterproof function to the connection, so it will cause this problem.
As a result, many swimming pool lights manufacturers will apply a 2-meter long wire out cable to the pool lights, it can make the installation easily above the water, to avoid connection inside water.
If you still have doubts about the troubleshooting of led swimming pool lights, welcome to contact our team, we are always ready to provide professional support to all swimming pool lights information.